The Museum of Barnstaple and North Devon has over 80,000 objects within its collection.
The Museum was founded by North Devon District Council in 1989 and significant parts of the collections derive from its predecessors, the Barnstaple Literary and Scientific Institute (1845), refounded as the North Devon Athenaeum in 1889 and St.Anne’s Chapel Museum, established by the Barnstaple Borough Council in 1923. Parts of the North Devon Athenaeum collection held by the museum are still the property of the Rock Trust, which runs the current North Devon Athenaeum (now library and archive based at Barnstaple library).
The Regimental Collection of the Royal Devon Yeomanry is also held on loan. The museum is the repository for excavated archaeology and associated archives from the northern part of Devon.